Balamurali Krishna Biography
- Date of Birth: 6 July 1930 at the south Indian state of Andhra Pradesh
- Achievements :
- Kerala State Film Award for Best Singer(1987)
- National Film Award for Best Male Playback Singer(1976)
- National Film Award for Best Music Direction(1987)
- Balamurali Krishna turned out to be a child prodigy, who began staging musical shows from the age of five. He composed the Raganga Ravali that’s a detailed work on the 72 Melakarta scheme when he was merely 14 years old. Also he is said to have composed as many as 400 Carnatic musical compositions.
Mangalampalli Balamurali Krishna is a very well-known Carnatic music vocalist cum musician of India. Born on 6 July 1930 at the south Indian state of Andhra Pradesh, he was initially named Murali Krishna at birth. It was the distinguished Harikatha performer, Musunuri Suryanarayana Murty Bhagavatar, who added ‘Bala’ to the name of young Muralikrishna. Read on further to get more information about the biography of M Balamurali Krishna.
Balamurali Krishna turned out to be a child prodigy, who began staging musical shows from the age of five. Music happened to be in the blood of Balamurali Krishna as his father himself was a popular musician and could play the flute, violin and the veena, whereas his mother was a skilled veena player. As such, little Balamurali Krishna mastered a number of instruments within a short time. He was presented the All India Radio’s “Top Grade” for seven different performance areas.
Balamurali Krishna’s Musical Myth:
M Balamurali Krishna also happens to be the only Indian musician ever to win National Awards for classical music, music direction and film playback singing. The life history of the musical career of Mangalampalli Balamurali Krishna is interesting. He composed the Raganga Ravali that’s a detailed work on the 72 Melakarta scheme when he was merely 14 years old. By 16, he had mastered all the 72 Melakarta ragas and composed kritis in all of them. Also he is said to have composed as many as 400 Carnatic musical compositions.
All throughout his life, Mangalampalli Balamurali Krishna has performed at concerts in numerous countries across the globe like USA, Canada, UK, Italy, France, Russia, Sri Lanka, Malaysia, Singapore, Middle East and so on. Though his mother tongue is Telugu, he sings also sings in Kannada, Sanskrit, Tamil et al. There are many stalwart Hindustani musicians who have collaborated with him in “jugalbandhis” or duets like Bhimsen Joshi, Pandit Hariprasad Chaurasia, Kishori Amonkar and others. He has also worked with international artists and won many prestigious awards.